Features of Dandelion Books
Written by three practising teachers, these books are designed to engage and enthuse beginner and reluctant readers. The highly-structured phonic sequence encourages reading success and building confidence from the very beginning.
- Imaginative stories with appealing characters
- Colourful and motivating illustrations
- Highly-structured phonic progression
- Text on cream background to make the books reader-friendly
- Gradual introduction of high-frequency words
- A clear explanation of Synthetic Phonics for teachers and parents
- Game in every book to consolidate learning
- Additional reading and spelling activities for further reading practice
Features of Books for Catch-up Readers
- Vocabulary Page
- Short chapters for reluctant readers
- Text on cream background for easier reading
- Motivating illustrations and storyline
- Syllables split for reader
- Dyslexia friendly font
- Reading practice page with phonic focus
- Workbooks for further learning linked to stories
Why should your pupils read decodable books?
Decodable books consolidate the phonics taught in your classroom. With step-by-step progression, the pupil succeeds at each level while learning the phonics needed to become a fluent reader. This approach develops confident readers with reliable reading strategies.
How do I choose the right books for my pupil?
The level of your pupil’s reading and his/her age will determine which books are suitable for him/her. Our general guidelines are:
|Tell a Story||Nursery and Reception||2 to 5 years|
|Dandelion Launchers||Beginner Readers||3 to 6 years|
|Dandelion Readers||Beginner Readers||5 to 8 years|
|Moon Dog, Magic Belt, That Dog!, Alba, Totem, Rescue, Talisman and Titans Gauntlets Series||Older, Struggling and Reluctant Readers||8 to 14 years|
To see how children should progress through our books please look at our Phonic Progression Chart.
How can I use the books in my class?
Decodable books are used as part of a reading programme in schools. Our books are suitable to use with any phonics programme to offer reading practice and can be used in a number of ways:
- Whole class: decodable books can be part of the phonics lesson providing a book for each child or pair of children to read together.
- Group work: children reading in groups as part of guided reading.
- 1:1 reading support with the teacher, teaching assistant or parent.
For a child to succeed, you will need to ensure that he/she knows that target phoneme at each stage. This is explained in the ‘How to use’ page of every book.
Each book in our Dandelion series also includes a game. This helps to practise and consolidate the learning in a fun way.
Do I need the workbooks?
The workbooks complement the reading books with a variety of activities some of which precede reading the books and others directly linked to the stories. They offer exercises which develop reading, spelling, writing and comprehension. A great supplementary resource for children who need further support.