Mog and Gom Mnemonic Cards Units 1-5
Suitable for: Kindergarten - Year 0, Year 1
Beautifully illustrated with picture mnemonic on one side and grapheme on the other. Also includes a letter formation patters card.
- Contents: 40 double-sided cards (198mm x 170mm each)
How to use these cards:
1. Display the picture side of the mnemonic card.
2. Say the pure sound, saying the mnemonic at the end (e.g. sssss snake)
3. If any children in the room have names with the sound in them, say their names, accentuating the sound.
4. Do the same with other words (e.g. ssssand, bussss) accepting suggestions from the children, but not asking for them.
5. Show the grapheme side of the card. Draw the letter formation over the grapheme as you say the letter formation.
6. Show the picture side of the card and write s next to the snake and say sssss.
7. Ask the children to repeat sssssssss. Ensure children pronounce the pure sound.
8. Point to the snake and say sssssnake and to the s and say sssssss.
9. Repeat with the children joining in.
10. Put the card behind your back and explain that when you show the snake side of the card, the children should say snake and when you show the s side of the card, they should say s.
11. Ask the children to put their ‘writing finger’ or ‘pencil’ in the air and follow you in making the shape, also saying the letter formation. Repeat two times.
12. Ask them to do the same again, either tracing s in front of them on the carpet or sitting in a line and tracing s on the back of the child in front.
13. Finally, children write s on whiteboards or paper or tables.